Sunday, June 26, 2011

Burritos & Ice Cream!

I was flipping through my copy of The 30 Minute Vegan and saw burritos. It doesn't really take a recipe to make a burrito, but it inspired me nonetheless. I cooked black beans from scratch to use in the burritos, as well as pinto beans from scratch for a side of refried beans (another recipe in the book). I used my little slow cooker to cook the beans after soaking them overnight. The burrito recipe called for an avocado, a tomato, a red onion, garlic, and cilantro. Hello, all the ingredients to make guacamole! I decided to saute the red onion with a yellow bell pepper in julienne strips, instead of adding it to the guacamole. I seasoned my black beans with cumin and cayenne pepper. The refried beans recipe was simple enough, but they definitely needed a liberal dash of cumin to kick up the flavor. The book also has a recipe for a nutritional yeast based cheese sauce, so I made that too, instead of using store-bought faux cheese like the burrito recipe called for. I also omitted sour cream from the burritos, because I didn't like it as an omni and I've never tried the vegan versions. My attempts to roll the burrito were in vain, because I put too much stuff in it. Whoops.


Photobucket


For dessert, I had a bowl of vanilla Tofutti ice cream with Justin's dark chocolate peanut butter cups added in. I wish I had a fudge sauce to add in as well, but I didn't think to pick one up at the store.


Photobucket


After dinner, I went to see a movie with a friend. Nice little Saturday, I'd say. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment