Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Black-eyed peas & greens

One of the cheapest sources of vegan protein is beans! I decided to change it up this week and make black-eyed peas. I found a recipe in The Vegetarian Slow Cooker to combine black-eyed peas and greens. I cooked the beans in my slow cooker, then combined the rest of the ingredients in a stockpot for ~30 mins. The recipe called for already cooked beans and to cook everything in the slow cooker, then adding the greens 20 mins before the dish was finished. The recipe suggested spinach or chard, but I think collards could be good match based on the Southern New Years' tradition to have black-eyed peas and collards for good luck and money. I used a whole bag of spinach, as well as adding in the last of a bag of matchstick carrots. I should note that I omitted the fennel, because I have no clue what it tastes like and I hate that the seeds taste like licorice. I served this over quinoa.


Photobucket


A reminder about beans - ALWAYS sort out your beans to check for debris before soaking. Look what I found in my chickpeas - a rock!!!! Can you imagine biting into that thing?! You'd break a tooth! Anyways, I'm soaking the chickpeas tonight, cooking them tomorrow evening, and using them in a new falafel recipe on Thursday. Can't wait! Love falafel!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment