Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Crock Pot + Indian Food = Win

I'm a big fan of chickpeas, Indian flavors, and the lazy cooking method of using a Crock Pot. When I saw The Indian Slow Cooker on Amazon, I ordered it even though it is not a vegan cookbook. The reviews I read on other blogs said many recipes were vegan or easily veganized. Given my love of chickpeas, the first recipe I wanted to make was curried chickpeas (Rasa walla Kabuli Chana). Instead of cooking dried chickpeas for 14 hours, I soaked the beans overnight and cooked the recipe for 8 hours on low and ~1.5 hours on high. I had a little more water left than I intended, but I added enough to cover the beans and leave a fraction of an inch of water to prevent drying out and burning. I used canned diced tomatoes, instead of a fresh tomato, and sauteed the onion before adding to the pot. This recipe is very tasty! It makes a ton of food, so be warned! I served with basmati rice (my favorite rice!).


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment