Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mofo #12 - Impossible Omelettes


Photobucket

I have been trying for two days to make these damn omelettes. The Western omlettes in American Vegan Kitchen look so delicious, but they are extremely difficult for me to make. The batter contains tofu, cooked chickpeas, and corn starch. I tried to get a thin of layer of batter in my skillet. Yesterday, the omelettes burned; today, the omelettes didn't cook through all the way before I tried to flip them. They made a mess. As you can see in the photo, the outside looks golden and cooked; but once I tried to flip it, you can see the lighter colored uncooked insides. Ugh. I didn't use vegan sausage links and added thinly sliced tomatoes instead of salsa. I have decided that I am just not cut out to cook vegan omelettes, because I had difficulty with the ones from Vegan Brunch as well. *sigh* If only a restaurant around here made vegan omelettes, I would finally get to try a properly cooked omelette.

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I had a issues with omelettes the first few times I made them too, in the end I bought a reeeeeally thin spatula and a crepe pan & that seemed to sort out the problem. Also it's really important to leave enough room for flipping. I haven't tried the AVK recipe but I love the one in Vegan Brunch and the one from the Fat Free Vegan Kitchen blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will add that to my Christmas list then! I would like to enjoy omelettes one day.

    ReplyDelete