Sunday, July 22, 2012

Fun Foods with Vegan Cheese

I was in my new Whole Foods store the other day to buy Garden of Life vitamins, vegan SPF15 body lotion, and the new Galaxy cheese. I returned yesterday to see if I could find a better deal on body lotion, since the giant bottle I bought was $25. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but I was a little surprised when I got home and saw the receipt. It was the only body lotion that had sunscreen in it, whereas everything else in that section was straight up sunscreen. Of course, I had to browse the store just to see what was available - vegan cake slices but no doughnuts in the bakery, Upton's seitan, Wayfare cheese spreads, and Daiya wedges. These are all new-to-me products, so I can't wait to try everything. I couldn't buy one of everything like I wanted, since that would drain my bank account! I did buy the jack-style Daiya wedge and some Good Belly shots though. Those shots are great when I don't feel like eating yogurt.

So what is one to do with vegan cheese? Well, I used some of the Galaxy shreds for that enchilada casserole in the previous post. I still had 3/4 of the bag left. I decided to make little personal pizzas! I bought a tube of dough (totally cheating!), which I cut into 3 sections. I unrolled the dough and cut each piece in half, then pinched together the halves to make a personal-sized pizza. I topped each one with sauce, the Galaxy shreds, and sauteed goodness (garlic, onion, bell pepper, and portabella). Look at the meltiness of that cheese!! Galaxy has really made a great vegan cheese! (I have read that the Mexican style and the mozzarella taste the same, but the Mexican style has orange shreds too.)

IMG_0150

Now, with the Daiya wedge, I wasn't sure what I would use it for at first. Then I remembered seeing "weiner wraps" on Spabettie recently. I used crescent roll dough, Smart Dogs, and the Daiya wedge. These were a fun little lunch food. Look at that meltiness! Wow! It is really interesting to think about how many options exist now that didn't exist just a few years ago when I went vegan. I guess more and more companies are aware of vegans and people with food allergies. :)

IMG_0149

No comments:

Post a Comment