Friday, September 7, 2012

Black-eyed Peas & Biscuits

Another recipe from Chloe's Kitchen - Southern skillet black-eyed peas and biscuits. I soaked my peas overnight and popped them into my little crockpot. The recipe calls for making the sauce with a can of tomato sauce and some water. I would recommend omitting the water to get a thicker sauce. The biscuit dough can be made in a food processor or by hand. I went with the by-hand method, since my food processor is only 2 cups. For the flour, I used a 50/50 split of whole wheat pastry and all purpose flours. I would recommend adding the non-dairy milk slowly, since I thought the dough was way too sticky to pat out and cut out biscuits. I sprinkled more flour into the dough and decided to make little balls that could be patted into discs. There was no way I was going to dump in enough flour to get a roll that could be patted out easily out of fear of getting rock hard biscuits. They were still quite soft after baking so I was happy with my modification. I've been eating this for the last few days, so I'm looking forward to making something new this weekend.
IMG_0230

No comments:

Post a Comment