Thursday, October 4, 2012

MoFo #4 - West Coast Chili

This recipe is from Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson (click here for her blog). Ha, I changed it up on you! I wanted to pull 3 cookbooks off my shelf that I don't use often enough for MoFo. Vegan Planet is a comprehensive cookbook, but it doesn't have pictures. That can be a bit problematic for me, but I saw a few delicious recipes from the book photographed on Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated. That convinced me to crack this big book open and pick a few recipes for MoFo. I started with this West Coast Chili, which called for topping with avocado and olives. I am ALL about fats found in whole foods, like avocado, olives, and coconut. Oddly enough, I've been moving away from cooking with olive oil. I might spray the pan or add < 1 Tbs in the pan, which is quite a change from when I first started cooking. Anyways, back to this chili, it calls for onions, peppers, and fresh tomatoes. The fresh tomatoes caught my eye, since so many recipes used canned tomatoes. It's simply seasoned, but I love the added creaminess of the avocado and the saltiness of olives (I used my salty love, Kalamatas). I served my chili over some basmati rice, but I think biscuits or quinoa would be nice options too.
IMG_0295-1 Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, I never put olives on chili and I put olives on everything! I will have to remember that for next time.

    Happy MoFo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you had the olive and raisin empanadas from Viva Vegan!? They are so good! You can see my photos here: http://andisay0214.blogspot.com/2011/04/easter-holiday.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer cookbooks with pics in them. It just helps to know what the end result should look like. This chili looks super yummy! I definitely need to try the avocado on top the next time I make some.

    ReplyDelete