Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Tofu Po'Boys

I had intended to make these sandwiches for Sunday night. They would have totally fit with the NOLA location for the Super Bowl. However, I stuffed myself with Mellow Mushroom pizza on Sunday afternoon. My friends and I drove nearly an hour to the nearest Mellow Mushroom. When dinnertime rolled around, I was still full. I ultimately had some water and a few cookies well after dark. On Monday night, I decided to make the sandwiches. I pressed my tofu, but then dipped it in a soy milk-cornstarch mixture and rolled in cornmeal seasoned with lime zest, cumin, and cayenne pepper. The recipe comes from Veganomicon, but I found it online. I baked the tofu, then served it on a wheat rolls. I know it's traditional to use French bread, but the ones I saw at the grocery were way too thick. I didn't want a bread sandwich! I sprinkled a little Daiya vegan cheese in the bun, then added lettuce, tomato slices, and pickles. This is a "dressed" sandwich, minus the traditional mayo. I made a small portion of sweet potato fries to serve on the side.
 photo ba865a13-8ef6-40da-b83a-b21b8d06347e_zpsdac6c060.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment