Saturday, June 1, 2013

Mushroom Burgers & Root Beer Beans

I made the bun recipe from Vegan Diner again. I made hamburger buns this time, because the mushroom burgers in the same book sounded so good. The burgers are soft, but I didn't mind squishing them a little when holding the bun. I used 3 portobella mushroom caps, since my grocery store didn't have crimini mushrooms that day. I sauteed the burgers in a little coconut oil, then served them with arugula and avocado. I made these on Monday since I only worked in the morning. The recipe says it makes 6 burgers, but they were pretty big. You could easily make smaller burgers or little slider burgers. I served these with some mixed veggies and root beer beans. The root beer bean recipe is from Hearty Vegan Meals for Monster Appetites. I bought a can of natural root beer at Whole Foods and cooked my beans from scratch. I used a mix of black, pinto, and red beans, soaking 1/2 cup of each and cooking them in the little slow cooker. The beans were a little sweet on the first day, but the leftovers were great. They were a nice alternative to baked beans.
 photo dcc15ef7-b519-4f92-9571-584d7730a2e8_zps8c134d55.jpg  photo 908697a8-1c4b-4488-b6b0-238a26fed598_zpsb4e0955c.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment